Friday, July 27, 2012

Previous experiences and initial thoughts

I'm a writer. Always have been, and for every international trip I have taken, I have maintained a journal. The last time I was in Israel (the only time), I was a Birthright participant. I found my journal from the last trip and read through it. I'm amazed at how much that trip has influenced my relationship with Judaism. I slowly introduced certain Shabbat practices into my life - staying off Facebook is the biggest, going to Shabbat dinner if I can, and going to services if I want. And also the idea that I can personalize Judaism to fit me and my life in the way that I see fit. My relationship doesn't impact someone else's relationship or the way they view Judaism, and we can both strongly identify as Jewish.

I don't expect in this next year to find how I see myself in Judaism or how I want to practice Judaism. That isn't necessarily the goal. I expect to learn a lot about the state of Israel and the politics going on there and gain knowledge about Jewish texts, social justice with Jewish values, and learn about what I want in the future. I'm hoping that my volunteer experience with Yahel will help me to determine different options for future jobs and learn about migration and racism in Israel. I'm hoping this Jewish study program I'm starting next week will help me gain textual and cultural knowledge, and I'm interested to hear the experiences of the other women on the program.

I'm a feminist, and that perspective has influenced my view of Judaism greatly. I've learned a lot in the last six months, taking a Jewish class and going to Shabbos lunches in the Orthodox community in St. Louis. Still, my feminist background and perspective on life are not going away, just evolving.

I will be in Israel in less than 4 days and I'm looking forward to it. At the same time, I was/am sad to say good bye to St. Louis and see you later to people who have become important to me in this last year. On to the next adventure!

1 comment: