Monday, July 30, 2012

Day 1

I don't think I actually got excited, nor did it actually hit me that I am spending the next year in Israel, until the flight from New York to Tel Aviv took off. I saw the Statue of Liberty as we took off and it was great. I won't see the USA until July 2013. That's a big thing to think about.

Today, being jet lagged, I walked around the Old City and went to the Kotel (Western or Wailing Wall). I walked in circles in the Jewish Quarter attempting to stay awake and hydrated throughout the day. I had forgotten about the number of stray cats and babies. There are children everywhere, hanging out with other kids, unattended by adults, and with their parents.

While many people speak English, it is better to know Hebrew and I unfortunately do not. I'll be working on that.

There will be a lot of spiritual discussions during these first three weeks; we are already having them in this hostel. I don't buy into much of the ideology that will be discussed. I'm incredibly cynical and critical so we will see how this goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment